Why can't I buy a license key online?

Here's the thing, if I order something physical like a computer, router or network switch the supplier has to send that to me in a box. When I order something less tangible like software or a license to use something or even swap money for some virtual points (Microsoft Live points etc.) I don't actually need to have anything more than a license key or at most a PDF that says I am ok to use that item and somewhere to get the software from.

You may be saying yes that sounds about right to me, however, as astounding as it may seem in this day and age, many things are still delivered as physical when a simple e-mail with a license key would suffice.

I recently purchased a couple of XBOX live gold memberships with 800 MS points (don't get me started on that rip off) from Play.com and had to wait 6 days for the four 25 character keys to be delivered by Royal Mail. Why? Just e-mail them to me, save some carbon and I get fulfilment in 2 minutes and everyone including the frogs and the bees are happy.

I can't remember the last time I saw a CD delivered to work with some software on it, we just get the license keys and download the latest version from the website.

Why is that that at home if I go online anywhere other than the manufacture's website to buy a game, some software program, a copy Windows or an XBOX live gold membership I have to wait for it to be delivered by the postal service? Yes there are alternatives, I can buy games from Steam, if they are doing the DRM for it, or I can buy XBOX live off the Microsoft website and get instant gratification but if I want to take advantage of price competition or a special deal like a student version of the software, I am stuck in the physical world.

Microsoft seems unwilling to offer online prices that are competitive, and unless Steam or EA are doing a deal there they are mostly overpriced and as for Adobe, well they are Adobe and will take your first born.

Surely it must be possible for 3rd party suppliers to offer a download service and an emailed license key? Even if they just open the package, emailed the key and a link to download the software, or how about a single use hyperlink to the manufacturer’s website to get a key and a download, Microsoft do this for their home use licenses.

There are many things that are similar to this that could be adapted, it just takes a bit of willing on the part of the publishers and manufactures to make it work, the only thing that could stop this is a lack of trust of the retail channel.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scripting DNS entries

Enterprise Vault - Failed Exchange Task

Windows Phone to iPhone - a painful transition