The operation did not complete because the media is write protected


Update and more info available in part 2

 Hit a weird problem with our EqualLogics drives. The drives themselves are fine but replicas and snapshots of some direct attached NTFS volumes would mount onto a machine but would not get a drive letter automatically, I could add one manually but it wouldn't stick after a reboot and services like SQL would not run. I could copy the data off the drive and this was data was fine.

I was able to delete a volume, create a new one but not format it, this is where I got a read only error. Trying another drive I found I couldn't copy anything on to it, I got the same error

This caused a lot of head scratching till I noticed the word hidden next to the drive in Diskpart.

A quick Google found a Microsoft kb article that described the problem and how Diskpart could fix it.

After attaching the drives, go in to Diskpart and list volumes and you will see that the Volumes are given the Hidden attribute.


To clear this, use the following commands in diskpart


After this the drives act as normal and all is right with the world once again.

More available in part 2

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scripting DNS entries

Enterprise Vault - Failed Exchange Task

Windows Phone to iPhone - a painful transition