Gaming made easy (for developers)

Hi all you gaming developers out there.
I like gaming (on my PC) I don't do consoles because my wife watches Eastenders (for you US folks that is a British soap) and we only have one TV in the house, I now it is sad but that is how the other 99% of the world live.
I imagine gaming development is a high pressure job these days with the humungous film like budgets and all that you have to deal with, but there seems to be a be a disconnect between you and us.

I accept you develop for consoles and then transfer to PC, if we are lucky, because apparently we in the PC zone like to pirate your games, well here's some news for you, everyone I know who owns a console has chipped it and there is a hard disk going round with 100's of games on so don't delude yourselves that there isn't as much pirating going on on consoles as there is on PCs.

From a gameplay perspective, you need to focus on the end user. Yes, they come in many varieties and you need to cater for all of them.
Some like the dark art of a sneak, some like a story, some like a gungho shooting fest.
But what kills a game more than anything, is you not avoiding what they don't like. Because they all have common dislikes which will kill your game.

What are those?
Replaying the same bit of of game/cut scene, over and over again because you don't allow them to save a game when they want to, or you have an auto save the saves games before the cut scene rather than after it. Why did you do that? Do you hate the people that buy your game and pay your wages?
Going back to 30 minutes ago after being killed because you implemented some lame in game save mechanism rather than a quick save or even ESC and save game because it was too hard to do.
The space bar makes me jump, what do you mean I can't jump? Everyone in the universe can jump over that railing/car/box/rock, why can't I jump?
Ports from consoles where you really don't understand what it is like to use a keyboard and mouse to interact with a game which leads to some massive inconsistent choices for UIs.
Endless advertising at the start of a game, all those better with Nvidia or Havoc stuff that I have to sit through every time I start a game, yawn go and make a cup of tea. I just want to play the game, make it start, and make it quick. If you must, let me hit ESC or any key a skip through it all till I get to bit with the menu. Oh and why is there a screen that says hit any key to continue? What possible purpose did that serve? Really please tell me because it makes absolutely no sense to me, it is just another reason not to like your game.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scripting DNS entries

Enterprise Vault - Failed Exchange Task

Windows Phone to iPhone - a painful transition