Windows 10 Phone/Mobile thingy


I know a lot of people dont think Windows 10 phone is worth a punt because it doesn't have enough apps or err........ is there any other reason other than it isn't IOS?

How many apps do you actually use?
If we ignore all the apps that do the same thing how many would each platform actually have?

Anyway I use a windows phone because it is relative simple at doing stuff and it generally works for me.
I still haven't worked out how to remove all the Tesco apps that came pre-installed on my wife's Hudl tablet, Android just doesn't seem to work in any kind of logical way for me, I am sure if I spent some time (a year or so) with just Android I may grow to ......... work with it. As for Apple, I am really not keen on their closed shop Apple only business mentality.

I am currently running 10586.71 on my trusty Nokia 925.

Having gone through all the fast ring builds i have to say it is mostly very stable and slick. There are a few minor issues. Outlooks has improved immensely with the way it handles multiple email accounts, there are still inconsistencies in things like spell check, where you sometimes seem to get OS spellcheck and sometimes Outlook spell check that really should have been sorted many versions ago. It is still a struggle to find stuff and the search in the settings menu still can’t find things like brightness which is annoying.

The one really annoying thing they introduced early on was that the back button no longer shuts down an app, just suspended it, same as all the other platforms, so you then have to go in and shut them all down at some point.

The big thing for me with Windows Phone is the future prospect of ditching my laptop and just having a dockable phone that runs Continuum.
For business it really is a big thing, no heavy bag to carry around between offices, just roll up and park your arse and your phone and you are good to go.
Currently I sit in the knowledge worker realm so need to be able to access a number of GUIs and windows based apps, so there are two ways this needs to go for me, the first has already happened, RDP sessions are now available on Continuum so I remote all the servers I like or even attach to a VDI environment with a persistent desktop. The second option is a full fat Intel phone running a x64 version of Windows with Continuum so I can have all those GUIs installed directly on my phone, which is managed by SCCM.
The 950 and XL phones are quite good but not quite enough for me to change my 925 yet. I am sure that MS are testing Intel Atom based phones, but if they can truly bring something really new to the party they can make big inroads in the corporate space simple on the basis of saving the cost of a business laptop for a number of users. Some simple maths, at around £1k/$1400 per user for a laptop and docking station, scale that up to say 1000 users with a 4-year replacement cycle and you are looking at saving £250K/$350k a year on hardware if you issue a phone and laptop to each user. I am sure there people out there that could massage the TCO to be even more favourable.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scripting DNS entries

Enterprise Vault - Failed Exchange Task

Windows Phone to iPhone - a painful transition