Windows 10 Fall Creators Edition Annoyance


What is annoying me right now is not an admin thing except in the loosest sense.

I have been on the Windows 10 fast ring forever and have had a few issues but nothing major over the years, but as we rush headlong in to the Fall Creators update one aspect has really annoyed me.

My PC is used by myself and my wife, her mostly in the mornings and daytime, me in the evening. After we have finished the PC gets shut down, yes, its weird behaviour in this modern always connected world but it’s what we do.

Sometime before build 16273 a rather annoying configuration seems to have been imposed.

When you boot a PC the last logged on user is signed in as a disconnected user. Why? It may make login (sorry sign in) quicker but in reality, if I have just started the PC I am waiting to log in and with SSDs it makes no difference at all.

Why worry you may ask? For me it affects two things. First, and most visibly, when I shut down the computer an annoying message pops up and tells someone else is still logged on and the computer and waits until I click OK before shutting down. Don’t know about you but shut down means shutdown to me and I just get up and walk away only to find the computer still waiting for me to click OK the next morning.

The other is that my work VPN connection won’t allow a connection if more than one user is logged in, so I have go in to task manager and kill my wife’s rogue session.

It’s not major stuff but it is unnecessary and unwanted and the sort thing that really pisses people off and provides no real benefit to anyone.

I have yet to find any of this behaviour mentioned in any documentation, I have logged feedback for every build since I first saw it (about 7 or so) but there is never anything about it in the known bugs so I can only assume it is an intended feature.

So how much are Macs these days? 

Addendum
Ok here's the thing, everytime I logged in wsappx.exe went bonkers using 20-30% CPU, this seems to be a store related thinging but was also really irritating. I manged to disable the service (AppXSvc - AppX Deployment service) which required a registry change and reboot as the option to do it from the GUI was greyed out (regedit and find the AppXSVC key under HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\AppXSvc and change the value of Start to 4) and hey presto the log on last user nonsense has gone away, oh joy of joys. So at least I now know what cause the issue it that bloody store.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scripting DNS entries

Enterprise Vault - Failed Exchange Task

Windows Phone to iPhone - a painful transition