Logically Challanged Designers

Graphics cards with multiple outputs are a bit of a bug bear at the moment. Now these beasties are almost quite clever, as when you boot your PC up they will look for a connected screen and display on that.
Ah but what about if no screen is connected or in my case the screen is turned off when you boot the PC?
My logic dictates that it would always default to one of the outputs, perhaps output 0 or some such, but no in the case of my ATI 4870 it seems to randomly select an output. This is very annoying as I have a power save 8 way adapter that powers off all the sockets and thus all the peripherals when the PC is shutdown. When I switch the pc on the monitor does not automatically come on and thus never sends a signal to the PC and I end up under the desk swapping the lead over to the other output. All very unnecessarily irritating.

Another one is the Xbox, when you get one of these you want to play so you create a profile and get on with gaming, then you think I just link this profile to my Games for Windows Live account, except you can’t, if go through the join Xbox live links putting in your details It ends up saying that the Gamertag is already in use, well I know and I want to link it to this but it just say that I need to recover the gamertag, Ok then Xbox do it. No you can’t and it won’t even tell you how to do it.
Now surely it would not be beyond the those well paid Microsoft programmers to put a link in at this stage to help you recover your Tag and link it to this profile. All you can do is dig through the menus and find the Recover Gamertag link, run through the wizard, then you find you don’t get any options to link it to a current profile. Oh no that would be too easy, you have to create a new profile. Which is adding insult to injury as you lose any game points you may have accumulated.
So I can create a profile and create an new Xbox live account but not attach it to a current Xbox Live account, or I can recover an Xbox live account and link it to a new profile on the Xbox but not an existing one. Completely bonkers. I have not yet managed to work out how to delete the extra profile I now have on the Xbox, hopefully Google will show me the way.

Why does Microsoft charge for online gaming when no other platform does, what a rip off.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scripting DNS entries

Enterprise Vault - Failed Exchange Task

Windows Phone to iPhone - a painful transition