Powershell and all that jazz

I do a little bit of scripting now and again, simple stuff to set permissions as part of silent install, copy some files or bulk update AD entries but nothing too drastic, I don't have the right kind of mind for all that, I am a visual guy and work best with images, long lines of text just don't do it for me, unless they can save me a lot of time.
Since we moved to Exchange 2010 and due to being involved in VMware, more and more of my time is wasted trying to work out what I am supposed to be typing in to some command window.
I’m sure if I spent all day every day making Exchange or VMware bend to my will I would probably get quite used to it and be able to reel off the required string in seconds but in a world where I have to also fix printers, deal with users, set up new server, make Backup Exec work and all the other stuff, trying work out a couple of lines of text with some really poor documentation and unhelpful error messages is not really a good use of my time.
I could Google for the right code but then do I understand what the command does? I could be opening up my server to who knows what risks, anyone can hack a website change some code that is displayed and I could end up trashing a server or some other undesirable result. In VMware many switches are case sensitive so –A and –a are completely different and you get them wrong at your peril or you could spend another chunk of time trying to work out what the error means.
The whole GUI thing is one of the reasons why Microsoft has succeeded over the years, but they seem to be polarizing in two directions now.
There user interfaces are becoming simpler and cut down with fewer options as you can see from the Windows 8 developer preview, it is designed for touch input but ultimately there is much less you can do.
The UI was almost completely removed for Exchange 2007, yes they have put back quite a bit in 2010 but ultimately the management interface is more for monitoring Exchange than administering it. If you want to go down the admin route then you have to get down and dirty with PowerShell to do anything significant. Windows OS is also losing stuff from the GUI, for example the only way to turn off Hibernation in Windows 7 is by using the command line.

I have heard rumors that Server 8 will be only available in a core version, I am sure there are good reasons to do this as it makes development and support a lot easier but for those of us in the real world were we don’t spend all day working in one narrow field of the IT world but have a huge and varied number of roles, this move away from providing a fully working and featured GUI for both operating systems and applications will make our lives very much more difficult.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scripting DNS entries

Enterprise Vault - Failed Exchange Task

Windows Phone to iPhone - a painful transition